Thursday, July 5, 2012

Straight Haired Girl is on Vacation!



Man, oh man am I happy to be on vacation. My definition of vacation by the way is four days off from work to stay in Charleston and do absolutely nothing. Today is the 4th of July and so far I’ve eaten breakfast, showered, brushed my teeth and for a good solid hour I pinned some stuff on pinterest. This makes me incredibly happy and I should also mention thankful to live in a country where that is perfectly acceptable. I’ll be celebrating my country’s independence in a few short hours with fireworks and friends, but for now I’ll let my hair air dry and write a blog post.

I only did one blog post last week due to the fact it was the last week of the quarter. I was in a zone. Unfortunately, blog posts didn’t fit into that zone.  I should mention to you that I work in a corporate environment and I’ll probably feel this way at the end of every quarter. I do love my job though.  

On this vacation I’m going to relax but also do some reorganization of my life. I’m a planner but only when I can sit down and put my full attention towards the task at hand. I don’t like to be distracted, rushed, or I guess imperfect? Eek. I should work on that. If I can’t do it well then I’m probably not going to do it at all. There are things I just want to fit in my life and this time off from work will definitely allow me to do just that. Make a plan.

I’ll let you know that I do want to create a blog plan. Think of times and days when I’ll most likely have some down time and be able to knock out a few posts.  Squeezing blogging into my routine isn’t a huge concern for me. I’ll make time for it because I enjoy it. I need to make time for the things I don’t enjoy as well. Which leads me to the topic of exercise. I really need to be more active. Sitting at a desk for over 8 hours a day is horrible for your health and body.  I have a co-worker that I walk with sometimes after work but I feel I need to be more dedicated with this routine and probably amp it up a bit as well. Goals associated with working out will not be weight or size oriented. I get discouraged very easily and normally don’t do well with those.  At my healthiest I focused more on my time and progression. Example: Do jumping jacks with a stopwatch for as long as possible. Do it again for that amount every day for a week, but next week add 30 seconds on to your time. The following week add a minute. Get the picture? I pushed myself and didn’t focus on the scale but rather my endurance. Pinterest has tons of workouts you can do in your room without joining a gym. Plus there are great apps for workouts too. Do whatever works for you.

The biggest and most important thing I want to fit into my schedule is reading scripture daily. I’m ecstatic with the resources I’ve discovered recently. My two favorites are #Scripturedoodle and Shereadstruth.com.  I follow along with a reading plan and devotionals with an online community of women I’ve never met. They are so encouraging and I am so thankful for them. I haven’t been able to do it every day of the week yet but I’m getting there. I’ve failed at reading plans my church has offered. I often get bored with them or lost. The reading plan I’m using now breaks down the scripture and has journal prompts for you to respond. It’s been something I enjoy doing and also want to do it more often. I’ve been working on a post about my faith for over a week now and I just can’t get the wording, my story, or I guess my message across the right way.  It’ll come soon though and needs to. It’s a huge part of my life that I refuse to hide on this blog. I just want to do it well. Hope you all had a good 4th! I’ll post again soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment