Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Straight Haired Girl Loves GIRLS



Feel free to play Jay-z's, "Girls, Girls, Girls" while you read this post. If you speak to me on a weekly okay maybe even daily basis then you would know that I cannot shut up about the Sunday night HBO show GIRLS. You can find me laying in bed every Sunday with my laptop mounted at just the right angle watching Game of Thrones, True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, and now GIRLS. I can't get enough of Hannah, Shoshanna, Jessa and Marnie. I read articles online, I watch clips, I re-tweet quotes, and I even debated printing out these silly things. Should I be shameful? No, in fact hell no. 


I guess we could equate this excitement, advocacy, obsession, or whatever you want to call it to  when a girl gets a new boyfriend or a new favorite dress. We wear that mess out till  we are forced say, "Okay, that's a bit much. I'll stop now." Until then though I will bring these ladies up in nearly every conversation I have with my fellow females. The boys watch it for the nudity and maybe to try and understand us. If anything this show will just confuse them even more about the female mind. 


I'm not saying you have to watch it but if you're a 20-something who is single you will probably love it.  It's brutally honest about how post grad life is with family, jobs, friends and of course the boys. I can relate to each girl just like one could say they relate to each character of Sex and The City. Hannah, the main character, is selfish and brutally hard on herself but I love that girl.

"I don't even want a boyfriend. I just want someone who wants to hang out all the time, thinks I'm the best person in the world, and wants to have sex with only me."
-Hannah

That quote is from an episode where Hannah is talking to Adam.  Hannah and Adam are strictly  friends with benefits and have never left his apartment together.  She even notes that she has never seen him with a shirt on.  After one of their nights together Adam doesn't text or her call her for two weeks. It's a pattern that she keeps putting herself through as well as most 20-something girls. You don't have to live in NYC to play the "I'm not texting you first" game it's alive and well wherever you go. 


Personally I'm ready for Hannah to ditch awkward Adam and go on some dates. Horrible yet entertaining dates.  My favorite date/story is riding in a truck with a guy who was pulled over for a burnt out headlight. It then came to be discovered that  his tags expired in November of 2010 (it was October 2011) and he was driving with a suspended licence due to a previous DUI. He was promptly arrested. The police officer informed me his bail would be $632 and I could pick him up around 8 A.M. the next morning. After being scared out of my mind that a police officer was asking me to step out of the vehicle, I laughed, called my roommate and was out of there in less than 20 minutes.I have good friends. Hannah needs to go through these experiences. Dates with somewhat crazy men are nice ego boosters and would make great entries in her diary journal.


If you want to start with any episode other than the first one I suggest Episode 4. I'm kind of looking forward to my next sick day just so I can have an excuse to lay in bed all day and watch each episode back to back.
GIRLS season finale is this Sunday, June 17 at 10:00 P.M. EST. 






No comments:

Post a Comment